All of us, in some way or another, have been affected by the global pandemic known as COVID-19. Here in the Birmingham area, most people went about the first 10 days of March pretty normally. Then things started to change, and they have seemingly changed every day since. We’ve made it through the month of March, but we have at least another month ahead of us of quarantine, social distancing, etc. Many people have reached out to us asking about needs that we may have, needs that we may know of and ways to meet those. Our team has put together a short list of “Requests and Resources” for mentors, donors and other partners that we hope will be helpful as you navigate this strange, heartbreaking and sometimes overwhelming moment in history.
1 – Pray
- Day 1: Pray for healing for the sick. Pray for breakthrough in research, for treatment, for a vaccine.
- Day 2: Pray for healthcare workers and their families.
- Day 3: Pray for leaders in government, leaders in schools, leaders in churches, etc.
- Day 4: Pray for those who have lost their jobs.
- Day 5: Pray for children who no longer have the stability and safety of going to school.
- Day 6: Pray for mentors to have wisdom, empathy and compassion as they invest in mentees.
- Day 7: Pray that God would use this crisis to bring unity and renewal to his Church.
2 – Give
- Continue to give in support of the work that we’re doing. As very practical needs arise in our family of mentors and students, we desire to meet them and we need your help to do that.
- Continue to give to the local church.
- Continue to give to other nonprofits and charitable organizations.
- Give thanks. Really. Identify three things every night that you’re thankful for and express gratitude to God for them.
3 – Comply
- Follow all guidelines being recommended by the CDC, state and local governments. We are in this together, and our compliance is a very tangible way to love our neighbors.
4 – Communicate
- Mentors, check in with your mentees and their families. Keep in touch with us.
- Everyone, check in with your people. Friends, family, coworkers, those most vulnerable. Social distancing doesn’t have to mean relational distancing. Take advantage of the technology at our fingertips to make the most of the time.
3 – #BHAMSTRONG
4 – BHMcares
5 – Frontline Foods
6 – Now Hiring!
To all of our supporters, we could not do this without you. Your generosity breathes wind into our sails as we navigate these waters. You are making a difference for the Kingdom, in Birmingham as it is in heaven.